How To Cook Egusi Soup – Egusi soup is a Nigerian delicacy well loved by many, it is one of favourite soup in the South.
The video shows the step by step details on how to make Egusi soup using the frying method. I used a blend of scent leaves and ugu leaves for this special Egusi soup.
See Also: How to Prepare Coconut Milk at Home and it’s Health Benefits
Ingredients for cooking Egusi Soup:
- Egusi seeds (melon seeds)
- Shaki (tripe)
- Red and yellow scent peppers
- Stock fish
- Okpei (locust bean)
- Palm oil
- Scent leaves
- Ugu leaves (pumpkin leaves)
You might also like: How to Make Natural Pink Lips Balm at Home
Steps on how to cook Egusi soup:
- Season the meat and the stock fish with onion, seasoning cubes and a little salt. I used the soft stock fish so I added mine much later.
- When it boils, add water and cook till tender.
- Prepare your other ingredients, it makes cooking easier.
- Blend or pound the shombo, peppers, crayfish, okpei with little or no water.
- Blend onions with water and pour in the blended Egusi to form a paste.
- Add palm oil in a dry pot, add in the blended pepper mix. Fry till dry.
- Add the Egusi paste in small portions, stir fry between 8 to 15 minutes.
- Stir continuously if not the Egusi will burn.
- Add in the meat stock, add gently so the soup doesn’t get watery.
- Add in the meat, cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add the dry fish and cook for extra 2 minutes.
- Add your preferred vegetables. I used scent leaves and ugu leaves, scent leaves is very nice for Egusi soup.
- Stir for a minute and your soup is ready.
- Serve and enjoy with any swallow of your choice.
See the video below:
See images below: