How man attacks Ondo doctor, nurse with cutlass over son’s death


How man attacks Ondo doctor, nurse with cutlass over son’s death

Share this article

Drama ensued at the Mother and Child Hospital, Akure, Ondo State on Saturday when an unidentified man allegedly attacked medical workers at the hospital after his son died.

The driver was said to have gone haywire and resorted to beating a doctor and nurse on duty with a cutlass and chased other medics, as he blamed the staff of the hospital for the death of his five-year-old boy.

A source narrated, “The man and his wife suddenly rushed their sick child into the emergency ward, crying for help in order to save the life of the boy who was almost at the point of death. Immediately the man came in with the child, all the nurses on duty came to his rescue and the child was admitted and was put on life support.

How man attacks Ondo doctor, nurse with cutlass over son’s death

“The father of the child was later told to pay the sum of N8,000 but unfortunately during that process, the child gave up. When he was informed that the boy was dead, he angrily rushed into his car and brought out a cutlass which he used to beat a nurse and a doctor on duty.”


Reacting to the incident, the chairman and secretary of the state chapter of the National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners, Dr Makinde Olugbenga, and Dr Adeniyi Adetayo respectively, condemned the attack on their members in a statement.

The statement partly read, “While the paediatrics call doctor was in the emergency ward attending to a patient, a five-year-old male child chronically ill-looking was brought in by his parents. The child was also noticed to be gasping. Upon arrival, the doctors immediately attended to the child and began resuscitative measures on him.

“Despite the assistance of another fellow senior doctor who until then was busy in the obstetrics and gynecology department, joining to assist her colleague by using her phone to illuminate the cannular site, the patient finally died.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, said she was yet to be briefed about the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *