Buy Ebira Native Attires.
NewsNational

Border Reopening: FG Gets $1.3 Billion Funding For Rail Link To Niger Republic

60
×

Border Reopening: FG Gets $1.3 Billion Funding For Rail Link To Niger Republic

Share this article
Border Reopening: FG Gets $1.3 Billion Funding For Rail Link To Niger Republic

In a significant development, Nigeria has successfully secured $1.3 billion in financing to complete a railway line connecting Kano, the largest city in northern Nigeria, with Maradi in Niger. This announcement was made by the Minister of Transportation, Senator Said Ahmed Alkali, in Abuja.

The financing for the project will primarily come from the China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC), covering 85% of the total cost, with the remaining 15% funded by the Africa Development Bank (AfDB).

This milestone comes following President Bola Tinubu’s recent directive to reopen both land and air borders connecting Nigeria to Niger. The railway project, part of President Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, is poised to enhance regional trade, foster community development, and promote cultural exchange.

The rail link, known as the Kano-Katsina-Jibiya-Maradi line, symbolizes the shared history and economic aspirations of Nigeria and Niger. It is expected to generate lasting benefits in terms of wealth creation and opportunities for both countries.

According to a statement by the Special Assistant (Public Affairs) to the Minister, Jamilu Ja’afaru, the project follows an EPC+F model, encompassing Engineering, Procurement, Construction, and Financing. The Ministry of Transportation remains committed to providing updates on the progress of this transformative venture as it moves towards a brighter and more interconnected future.

Background Information:
President Tinubu’s directive to reopen Nigeria’s borders with Niger, issued by Special Adviser Ajuri Ngelale, aims to strengthen diplomatic and economic ties between the two nations.

Furthermore, in July 2023, Mota-Engil, Portugal’s largest builder, signed an 840 million-euro contract to supply and finance railway rolling stock for the project. This initiative aligns with the federal government’s broader strategy to develop railway infrastructure across Nigeria, addressing longstanding transportation challenges and fostering economic growth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *