Breaking: 4 Dead, 1 Hospitalized After Eating ‘Amala’ Meal From Cassava Flour in Kogi State


The people of Mopa town in Mopa-Muro Local Government Area of Kogi State have been thrown into confusion as four members of a family died mysteriously after reportedly eating “Amala,’ a cassava flour meal.

Breaking: 4 Dead, 1 Hospitalized After Eating 'Amala' Meal From Cassava Flour in Kogi State

The members of the family who ate the mea last Thursday, died one after another from Friday 30th September to Sunday 2nd October, 2022.

The deceased included head of the family, Pa. Motilewa, two daughters and a girl who is their relation. One of the deceased daughters identified as Motun was an NCE Holder and teacher in the town.The mother, however, miraculously survived.

The event has left residents of the town and the entire neighbourhood in mourning, fear and confusion, with many calling for an investigation into the deaths of the family members.

It was gathered that the family prepared the amala from the left over Cassava from which they had previously made and eaten Fufu. They were said to have spread the processed shafts in the sun to dry for some days.

The dried cakes were subsequently grinded into soft powder which was used for Amala which they ate on Thursday evening, before retiring to bed.

A source familiar with the disaster said the victims became sick overnight and efforts were made to stabilise them. But unfortunately, the youngest member of the family passed on Friday, quickly followed on Saturday by the relation living with the family.

With the sudden passage, the others were moved to the highly rated ECWA Hospital, Egbe for better medical attention.

Sadly, the eldest of the daughters, Motun gave up the ghost about 3am Sunday. The father also died later the same Sunday (yesterday).

At the time of this report, the mother, identified as Molomo is still alive in the hospital and under close observation.

Members of the community are said to be suspecting foul play in the sudden deaths and had therefore stopped the burial for proper investigations.

“We are shocked. I have never seen a thing like this. We suspect that someone may have poisoned the food. For what? We cannot tell.. I’m confused and in pains. This is too much to bear,” a member of the family lamented.

Source: Ebira Reporters.

Join Ebira Online Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stories and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.


Like it? Share with your friends!

1.3k shares
Deenatu

I am a School Teacher, Finance & Business Development Coach. I Am The Head of Editorial at Ebira Online Media.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.