Ebira Culture - Things Women Must Not Do in Ebiraland (Taboos in Ebiraland)
Taboos In Ebiraland – Before i start mentioning things Ebira Women are not allowed to do in Ebiraland (Culturally) i will like to give the definition of Culture before some people get it twisted.
So What is Culture?
According to the Oxford University Dictionary, Culture is the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.
Just the same way other tribes have their Cultures and traditions Ebira People are not left out, and in every Culture there must be do and don’t, as in set 9f rules they are all following.
In Ebiraland there are some certain things that the Culture frowned at, things women are restricted from doing…
List of Things Women Must Not Do in Ebiraland – Taboos In Ebiraland.
- Women are restricted from Seeing Masquerades (Eku) – There is an exception for Onokus.
- Pregnant women must not take money from their husband pocket – Its believed the child after birth must steal.
- Pregnant Woman must not have sex with another man – The man that sleeps with pregnant woman that is not his wife, will forever live in poverty.
- No woman must have sex during her menstrual period.
- Any female child that fell from her Mum back will encounter husband’s death 7 times before it stopped.
- No pregnant woman should walk during the mid day or midnight to avoid given birth to Enebe or Ozi Emasu. (Destined to die prematurely child)
We have lots of taboo women must not attempt but i will stop at this juncture.
Also Read: The Ebira Concept Of Ozi-Emasu And Enebe.
Who are Onokus in Ebiraland?
Onoku in Ebiraland is a topic for another day, but i will just scratch the surface for us to know something about it.
Onokus are special type of women in Ebiraland (Please don’t get me wrong all women are wonderful and unique in various ways) initiated in some sort of cult which gives them more hands and say in Ebira Traditions than ordinary women. Onokus are born with the gift, women that are not Onokus from birth can’t be initiated.
Please just keep on visiting this blog till i publish the article on Onoku but before then please enjoy yourself with our numerous articles.
Drop your views and opinions in the comment section below and share with others, thanks for reading.